This is the Grennan’s have a new website.
After being on the Internet from the very beging with little change to the look and feel of my site it was time to make some chagnes. You can see how little it has changed over time by going to the Wayback Machine.
It has take some time to find just the right software to use. I have been experimenting with lots of Content Management Systems (CMS). I’ve put up PHP-Huke, PHPWebsite, and now I’ve settled on Mambo. You can see a complete list of CMSs and compare them at The CSM Matrix.
Home – Takes you to the home page.
Blog – Stories and articals about events and topics of interest to me (Mark). This section will expand and will become a menu of it’s own. It will thin contain a blog for each family member who has something to say. Or, just a link to a page about them.
Photos – No change in this software. Gallery integrates into Mambo very well.
Downloads – I have lots of documents, programs, and files to share, and the DocMAN program I’m using is great.
WebCam – This is just a link to the old webcam. Maybe I should start a project and create a Mambo WebCam. (Broken at the moment.)
Statistics – This is my site statistics.
I am stil working on this site. I have lots of stuff to add. The Gallery photo section still needs to be intergrated into mambo and not just a popup window. I also need to find a way to intergrate the bookmarks program I had. The biggest thing to do is to find a way to have "Home" pages for the other family members. Maybe in just a few more sleepless nights……
- Completely database driven site engine
- News, products or services sections fully editable and manageable
- Topics sections can be added to by contributing authors
- Fully customisable layouts including left, center and right menu boxes
- Browser upload of images to your own library for use anywhere in the site
- Dynamic Forum/Poll/Voting booth for on-the-spot results
- Runs on Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX server, Solaris and AIX
- Change order of objects including news, FAQs, articles etc.
- Random Newsflash generator
- Remote author submission module for News, Articles, FAQs and Links
- Object hierarchy – as many sections, departments, divisions and pages as you want
- Image library – store all your PNGs, PDFs, DOCs, XLSs, GIFs and JPEGs online for easy use
- Automatic Path-Finder. Place a picture and let Mambo fix the link
- News feed manager. Choose from over 360 news feeds from around the world
- Archive manager. Put your old articles into cold storage rather than throw them out
- Email-a-friend and Print-format for every story and article
- In-line Text editor similar to Word Pad
- User editable look and feel
- Polls/Surveys – Now put a different one on each page
- Custom Page Modules. Download custom page modules to spice up your site
- Template Manager. Download templates and implement them in seconds
- Layout preview. See how it looks before going live
- Banner manager. Make money out of your site