I am building my own VMWare "Whitebox" server for home. I manage ESX system at work. I find using like equipment and software at home helps find, and resolve, issues before have to deal with them at work. I'm also interested in saving on my electric bill and increase my systems capabilities. With four computers in my small corner bedroom it gets hot. The air condition runs almost continuously during the summer. Along with the build project I'll be reporting on my energy savings.
I have three Linux servers to convert. I'll use ESXi to re-create them into virtual systems. They are, a firewall, a web/s data store server and an email server. The firewall is a small system running Untangle with a single disk, the web server is a Fedora Core system with a four disk RAID 4 and the email system runs Zimbra with mirror disks.
In the next new posts I'll go over:
- Hardware – What I purchased and why.
- Server Construction – How I put everything together.
- System Migration – Moving from physical systems to virtual systems.
- Network configuration – How one Internet connection is connected to all the virtual servers and my desktop.
- Benchmarks – How fast is everything and are there better configurations.
- Power savings – Did I really save on my power bill? What is my return on investment.
- Tweeks, Hacks and Tuning – Little things that make life better in a virtual world.